Choosing a dentist is often an afterthought, many people simply choose the dentist that is closest in location or who their friends or family see. While convenience is definitely something to consider, there are other factors to contemplate for choosing a dental practice that is right for you.
Tips for choosing a dentist:
- Pay attention to your dental insurance. If you have dental insurance, the first thing you must consider is if your dentist must be determined by your dental health plan. Many HMOs and PPOs limit your choice for who you are able to visit within their networks, so it is vital that you pay attention to the underwriting in your insurance plan.
- Do you have specific dental needs? Almost all dental practices have at least one dentist who specializes in general dentistry. However, if you have specific dental concerns or issues, it is important that you understand a dentist’s qualifications before becoming a patient at his/her practice.
- Do you have children? Visiting a family dental practice is one of the best things you can do if you have children. There are many benefits of having all family members see one dentist – the greatest of these benefits being that a dentist who sees multiple family members will be able to easily spot concerns that are common to that family. This early detection will allow for early intervention. It is also necessary to take into consideration how friendly a dentist is so that your children feel comfortable.
- Convenience. It is no secret that the more convenient your dental practice is to you the greater chance there will be that you will visit regularly. Before you choose a dental practice that is on the other side of town (or farther), ask yourself how consistently will you commit to driving back and forth – especially if multiple visits will be necessary for you or for other family members.
- Ask for recommendations. While it is never advised to use the “popularity factor” for health care, knowing who your friends and family trust can go a long way.
- Meet for a consultation. It is always a good idea to meet with a dentist before joining a practice in order to learn more about him/her. Ask about qualifications, services, office hours, flexible payment plans, and more. Use your instincts to judge their qualifications, and do your research.
At Family & Cosmetic Dental Care in Johns Creek, Dr. Mitul Patel is a qualified dental specialist who is committed to excellence in dentistry. Please call today to schedule a consultation. We welcome you into our practice and hope to help you achieve and maintain optimal oral health.
2627 Peachtree Pkwy Suite 440
Suwanee, GA 30024
Phone: (770) 888-3384