Teeth are incredibly strong. They must be to bite apart the foods you eat and chew them up properly for digestion. When teeth press against each other when you’re not eating, however, the force they exert can be enough to cause damage. Excessive clenching and grinding of the teeth, especially while sleeping, is a serious problem, but it can be stopped. A customized night guard is one of the best ways to protect your teeth from each other, and protect your oral health.
Problems Caused by Clenching and Grinding Teeth
The pain and discomfort caused by teeth grinding can lead to dental problems and more:
- Tension headaches and migraines
- Sore jaw
- Enamel erosion
- Worn teeth
- Clicking or popping jaw joints
- Tenderness when biting or chewing
- Gum recession
- Damaged dental work
If you wake up in the morning with a sore jaw, aching teeth, or chronic headaches, the unconscious habit of grinding your teeth while sleeping is usually the culprit. The problem can be stopped with a customized night guard, though the damage that may have already been done to your teeth will also need to be addressed to protect your oral health from further problems.
The Benefits of an NTI Night Guard
The NTI appliance is a night guard that can reduce pain and prevent deterioration of the teeth and gums by preventing clenching and grinding of teeth during sleep, a problem known as sleep bruxism. Here are some things to know about an NTI night guard:
- Customized: The NTI mouth guard is designed just for your mouth and your specific bruxism symptoms and side effects.
- Effective: The NTI appliance prevents your teeth from grinding against each other, but also stops the clenching behavior. Over time, the NTI can actually train the muscles to relax. The device triggers a nerve reflex to relax the muscles that are unconsciously but forcefully behind the teeth clenching. When an NTI appliance is properly place, it will prevent your molars from touching.
- Safe: Because the NTI guard is small and completely different than a typical night guard, some patients worry that it will fall out at night. Once properly fitted, the appliance snaps into place and can’t be removed without using your hands. It’s not going anywhere.
- Subtle: The NTI appliance is a small acrylic or hard plastic guard that is barely noticeable. It is designed to be worn on just the two lower or two upper front teeth.
Why a Customized Night Guard Is the Best Choice for Your Teeth
Some people grind and clench their teeth temporarily during a stressful time. Others suffer from jaw misalignment or a problem with the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) which can cause the constant teeth grinding – a mouth guard can help, but your dentist may also recommend a permanent fix to correct your jaw, like Invisalign.
You may be tempted to buy an over-the-counter mouth guard, but it won’t be the effective, customized solution of a night guard from your dentist. If a night guard does not have the proper fit, it could cause even more oral health problems, damage your joints, and cause more pain or headaches.
Find out if you’re a good candidate for an NTI night guard, or if there is another type of full-coverage night guard that will provide you with the relief you desperately need from pain and the threat of dental damage. Contact the general dentistry office of Dr. Mitul Patel in Suwanee to schedule your appointment.