Correct gum recession with pinhole gum rejuvenation at Hello Family Dental
Gum recession can leave you with an unattractive smile. Plus, over time, you become more susceptible to developing decay and gum disease. At Hello Family Dental in Suwanee, we offer a pinhole gum rejuvenation procedure to correct gum recession without pain, scalpels, or sutures.
Conventional gum recession repair vs. pinhole gum rejuvenation
The conventional gum graft repair for receding gums is an invasive surgical procedure accompanied by an uncomfortable healing process. To encourage tissue growth in the areas of recession, the gum tissue is cut from the roof of the patient’s mouth (or a donor) and transplanted with sutures around the recessed tooth. Sound unpleasant? Enter the Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST®).
A minimally invasive repair that has revolutionized gum recession treatment, the Pinhole® Surgical Technique is a breakthrough in modern dentistry. Here is a closer look at how this innovative procedure works, no cutting, no stitches in sight:
- Miniscule pinholes are placed in the gum tissue.
- The gum tissue is loosened with specially designed instruments that pass through the pinholes.
- The tissue is repositioned over the recessed areas.
- Collagen is passed through the pinholes as an effective method of holding the shifted gum tissue in place.
There are no open wounds or stitches after this treatment, which significantly reduces pain, swelling, and recovery time. In fact, the tiny pinhole that is made in the gums typically shrinks back to an undetectable appearance by the very next day. One of the biggest benefits: You can see the results of the PST® immediately after the procedure is completed.
What causes gum recession?
There is no guarantee that gum recession can be prevented. Some people are simply predisposed to gum recession thanks to genetics. However, there are some factors that can make recession far more likely:
- Brushing too hard. If you are an aggressive brusher, take a lighter, gentler approach and use a soft-bristle toothbrush. Brushing vigorously is not a substitute for brushing well, and the force negatively impacts the gums. Using an electric toothbrush can help prevent a heavy hand too.
- Misaligned teeth: Teeth that are out of alignment can contribute to gum recession because of abnormal tooth positioning. Too much force is placed on certain areas instead of being evenly distributed over your teeth, and this can lead to recession.
- Gum disease: Which came first – gum recession or gum disease? Both can contribute to the other, making for an array of painful oral health problems, including tooth loss. Gum recession creates pockets around the teeth and gum line that gather bacteria and plaque, and this can lead to periodontal disease. Keeping up with diligent daily at-home care and attending preventive care visits with your Alpharetta dentist helps keep gum disease at bay.
- Teeth grinding: You may think that enamel erosion is the biggest side effect of teeth grinding, but gum recession is also possible. Unconscious tooth grinding, usually done while sleeping, can be prevented with the use of a dentist-provided night guard that saves your teeth and gums.
Gum recession does not occur overnight but develops gradually. When you visit Hello Family Dental in Suwanee, located near Alpharetta, Duluth, and Johns Creek, every six months as recommended, he will see changes in the position of your gums and know when it’s time to take action. If you notice that your teeth have become sensitive, this could be an indication of gum recession, though it could also be a sign of other oral health problems, like a cavity or a cracked tooth.
Gum recession treatment from Hello Family Dental in Suwanee
One of the telltale signs of gum recession is noticing that your teeth look longer than usual. Being concerned about the appearance of your smile is important – often it’s the appearance of teeth that encourages people to visit the dentist. And then it’s your Suwanee dentist’s job to identify what is happening with your oral health and provide solutions. Keep in mind that if gum disease is part of your gum recession diagnosis, that will need to be treated first before any other cosmetic or restorative dentistry can be done.
Gum recession absolutely has a solution. And the Pinhole® Surgical Technique can return to you a smile that you love while improving your oral health too. The PST® is sometimes referred to as the Lunchtime Gum LiftTM and with no incisions and no sutures, it really is a procedure that is conservative and does not require serious time in the dentist’s chair. Dr. Mitul Patel is among an elite group of dentists who are trained and qualified to perform this innovative gum recession treatment.
Gum recession is common. Do not be embarrassed to seek out a solution for this oral health problem. At our modern family dental practice in Suwanee, we are dedicated to using a state-of-the-art approach when addressing the health and appearance of your teeth and gums. If you want a minimally invasive, highly effective, long-lasting solution for gum recession, choose the scalpel-free gum recession treatment from Hello Family Dental. Our dedicated team serves all North Atlanta communities, including Duluth and Alpharetta. Contact us today to find out whether the pinhole gum treatment is right for you.