Dental implants are the most secure way to replace missing teeth and patients have a lot of questions about this dental restoration. Find out everything you need to know about dental implants so you can determine what type of smile makeover is right for you.
1. What are dental implants?
Dental implants are typically comprised of three parts: a small, titanium, manmade root surgically implanted in the jawbone to take the place of a missing tooth root; a post attached to the implant; and a customized prosthetic tooth attached to the post. This combination replaces a tooth both above and below the gum line, essentially giving you back the health, stability, and beauty of your smile.
2. What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are a permanent solution for missing teeth that deliver better oral health and a boost to your self-confidence, plus:
- Comfort: You won’t even notice that the implant is there once the oral surgery and healing are complete.
- Security: No more worrying that your teeth while shift out of place, whether they’re loose or whether you wear unreliable dentures. Dental implants aren’t going anywhere.
- Appearance: Not only will your smile be complete with natural-looking dental implants that look just like a real tooth, you will look better overall. Missing teeth age a person, especially when the jawbone begins to deteriorate due to lack of stimulation from the missing tooth root, and a compressed look will develop over time if teeth are not replaced.
- Strength: Implants are strong, making your entire smile more stable and fully functional, and making it easier to bite and chew the foods you love. An implant decreases the chances of bone loss, periodontal disease, tooth movement, and further tooth loss.
3. Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
Your Johns Creek dentist will carefully examine your teeth and gums through a review of your oral health history, x-rays, impressions, and 3D mouth scans to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants. Age is irrelevant. The strength and position of your jawbone, gum tissue, and spacing around your teeth are the most important considerations. If your missing teeth are a result of periodontal disease, this problem will need to be addressed before dental restorations of any kind can take place.
4. How long do dental implants last?
If you take good care of your teeth and gums every day with thorough brushing and flossing and keep up with twice yearly dental exams and cleanings, your dental implants can last a lifetime, just like natural teeth.
5. Are there any other solutions for missing teeth besides dental implants?
There are several dental restorations that can be used to replace missing teeth. Dental implants are strong and permanent, which makes them an attractive option. They can replace the need for a removable full denture or a partial denture. They can even be used in conjunction with dentures, so you get the benefits of both restorations without the inconveniences of traditional dentures.
Dental bridges are a strong solution used to replace missing teeth, but they do involve adjacent teeth in the solution to make the false tooth fit in the gap. Ultimately, if you are a good candidate for dental implants, the decision to undergo this procedure will depend upon your smile goals, budget, anxiety, and preferences.
Choose Dental Implants to Replace Missing Teeth in Suwanee
Visit Dr. Mitul Patel and his team at Family & Cosmetic Dental Care in Johns Creek to find out whether you are a good candidate for dental implants. Contact us today.