White teeth are enviable. You see a celebrity, politician, or athlete flash their pearly whites and wonder how their teeth got so amazingly white. First, you must rule out cosmetic dentistry in the form of porcelain veneers or lumineers. Sometimes, those flawless, natural-looking smiles were created by a very talented artist – a cosmetic dentist. If you’re simply seeking a whiter smile and no other edits to your teeth and gums, teeth whitening is the right choice. The question is: Should you try whitening your teeth on your own, or go the professional route?
Can’t find love? 4 reasons you might need a smile makeover >>
Drawbacks of DIY Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is one of the fastest ways to alter your smile. Even if your teeth are a little crooked or imperfect, a whiter set of teeth will make an impact in a good way. It’s easy enough to visit the local pharmacy and pick up every whitening product you can find – strips, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and more. For many people, these products or a combination of them can strip stains from the surface of tooth enamel to alter your smile.
However, there are some major drawbacks to do-it-yourself teeth whitening:
- User error. Think you know exactly how to use the whitening treatment you purchased? Always read the directions first. Applying products incorrectly or for a lengthier or shorter time than recommended can be painful and give you unexpected and undesirable results.
- People who get results right away from DIY whitening treatments may be tempted to buck the instructions on the packaging and undergo another treatment sooner than recommended. This overuse – and some people might even be addicted to the amazing results – can lead to gum sensitivity, damaged enamel, and a less-than-natural-looking appearance.
- Poor choices. Trendy teeth whitening treatments can get in the way of good decision-making. Charcoal, coconut oil, bentonite clay, and strawberries have all been promoted as organic and natural ways of whitening teeth. Stick with the professional offerings. You could do more harm than good by playing with what is put on your enamel or gums.
Cosmetic dentistry can improve your career success >>
Advantages of Professional Teeth Whitening
In professional teeth whitening, there are two main ingredients that blast into the enamel of the tooth and remove the stains that are causing tooth discoloration – carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide. Over-the-counter treatments are adept at removing surface stains, but they cannot compete against the power of an in-office dental treatment.
Other perks of a professional whitening treatment:
- Your Johns Creek dentist will take every precaution to guard your gums from any reactions to the whitening product. Protective gel is used so that you can enjoy your smile as soon as it is complete rather than being in pain.
- In about an hour you can have a whiter smile that will last for quite some time.
- Get a teeth whitening treatment on your lunch break, just before that job interview, in time for a first date, ahead of a night out. There is time to pamper yourself and improve your appearance.
- If you have fillings, onlays, or one veneer, teeth whitening treatments will not be able to filter through these cosmetic dentistry repairs. Your dentist can take your dental work into consideration when planning out your whitening treatment to ensure that your new, finished smile is even and natural-looking.
Aging smile? Look younger with porcelain veneers >>
Visit Dr. Patel at his Johns Creek dentistry practice to talk about teeth whitening or any other cosmetic dentistry treatments that can give you the smile makeover you’ve always wanted. Contact us to make your appointment.